Sunday, February 17, 2013

Angkor Thom and Bayon Ruin

After leaving Angkor Wat, my guide and I headed north to another temple complex, this one even larger. Called Angkor Thom it contains the ruin of Bayon

Like Angkor Wat this complex is surrounded by a huge rectangular moat measuring eight miles in circumference. As we approached the gate, I had the driver stop and let me take a photo.


The bridge over the moat contains 54 statues with the ones on the right representing good and those on the left evil

Detail of some of these statues

The moat towards the setting sun

And looking to the east

Close-up of the entrance gate

The central complex is not as restored as Angkor Wat and in many ways makes it more interesting

The approach

More fantastic sandstone carvings

Detail of an elephant carving

The wheel was known to these people

Can you see the buddha faces carved in the temple heights?


Perhaps you can now

Close-up

I wish there was time to write more about this great place but you'll have to read it here

Profile of one of the numerous Buddha faces that appear on each of the great towers

Close-up of a Buddha face

Stone faces and jungle

Smiling face captured in stone

It was very hot and humid. My shirt was drenched in sweat.

The road back to Siem Reap town

No comments:

Post a Comment

If your comment will not post, email me with the problem.